6 Technology Checklists for a Newly Starting Business
Technology is an integral part of our day to day business lives. Considering the contributive roles of technology in our everyday lives, one can’t help but embrace IT. This post is for you to consider some of the checklists of technology that are of great use for your newly starting business.
- Internet Access: every new startup should endeavor to have a high-speed internet access, as it is very crucial in the growth and success of your business. High speed internet access gives you the opportunity to take advantage of online backups, VoIP and the likes. More so, if your business operates primarily online, then having an internet access with high speed is essential for you because that is where the strength of your business lies. And if on the other hand, your business is offline based, it still doesn’t leave you out in having a good internet access, because it will go a long way in helping you in terms of backup and security, web surfing etc. See to it that you get a reliable service and support from the vendor providing you with the internet service.
- Computers: having computers in the running of your business is advisable and profitable. If you are a small business, you might need to store some data or file, you might want to type some things, you might even want to back up some files, using the computer makes it easier for you. Even when you want to surf the web, it’s easier with the computer because it gives you a broader and better view than you would have on a smartphone. On another hand, if your business is a large one, it might be mandatory for you to have computers in your establishment. Have a personal computer for yourself and also provide for each of your employee, this is to the end that your work do not slack and you achieve great results. “Of course, you must have computers for each employee. These computers shouldn’t be slow, rinky-dink, bottom-of-the-barrel relics from the early ’90s, but should be relatively new, high-speed tools. Each computer should have plenty of memory (512MB or more), hard-disk space (80GB or more), a fast processor (2-3GHZ) and a quality screen for minimum eyestrain. Your computers must be set up in a network with a file server and shared internet access. Those who are dealing with large files such as graphic artists, design shops or others must have very powerful computers to be able to quickly manage and store the files. The memory you use backing up 100-word files that a very small law firm might deal with is much smaller than backing up 100 hi-resolution photos.”
- Data security: it is essential for every business owner, whether large or small to have data security technologies. These technologies can come in the form of software or hardware and they help you secure the files you have on your computer. According to Ramon Ray, “It’s absolutely imperative that your businesses data is secure and backed up. Your local network and each of your computers should have a firewall (a hardware firewall for your network and at least a software-based firewall for each computer) and anti-virus software (many come bundled with features to detect phishing and other online threats as well). In addition, ensure your computers and network are configured by a local security consultant (your general knowledge solution provider might not have sufficient expertise to properly harden your computers and network from online attackers). If you have a wireless network make sure it’s secured as well. The second phase of your security plan is to ensure all of your data is backed up and that you have a recovery plan in place. If you came to work and found nothing but a hole in the ground, what would you do? What plan would you have in place to recover your data onto other computer systems? That’s how you have to think. If your business retains personal information of your customers, especially financial information, social security information, etc., it’s even more important that a professional security consultant work with you to ensure your information is secure. Your network must be secure, but also your online applications. Hackers can go to your website and use “back door” holes in the online software to access your database if the online application or database isn’t properly configured.”
Read Also: Cyber Attacks: Threat to the Global Economy
4. E-mail: apart from the fact that having an email helps to develop your business, it also makes you look professional. Whether you operate an online or offline store, or you operate a large or a small business, e-mail technology helps you look professional. With Yahoo and other hosts, you can create a nice e-mail address, and to spice it all up, if you own a website, you can also own a customized e-mail address by customizing your email address to your website’s name. You might also need to put some systems into place that will help you archive your e-mail to comply with government’s regulations, especially if you are in a regulated industry.
- Website: this is one of the most common technologies for new startups. Having a website for your business gives you many advantages. Not only will you be able to showcase your business, but also you will have a higher chance of turning potential clients into real clients. Owning a website gives you the chance of pulling more crowds to your business. Building a website is quite easy. There are many free tools on Microsoft office and other hosts that you can use in building your website. However, ensure you make your website mobile friendly while creating it; this is because many people access the web through their smartphones than they do with computers. Better still, you can hire a web developer to build your website for you.
- Social media: leverage the usage of social media. Most businesses that have made it to the top today made use of social media technologies. There are various social media with different technologies put in place to help business owners. So as a new business, make sure you make use of the social media. It doesn’t matter whether yours is a big business or not. Staying relevant is what matters.
Hope you enjoy this article?
Share your thoughts in the comment session.
Contact us today for your business consultancy and business advisory services. We can help you fine tune your idea, structure your business, market your business, train your staff, consult on your retirement plan, coach you for financial success. We also write business plan and help with fund raising strategies and Grant applications. We can help you start, grow and expand your business.
Call or WhatsApp us now on 081 0563 6015, 080 7635 9735, 08113205312 or send email to email@example.com and we will solve any of your business problem.