How To Set Up A Professional Beauty Salon in Nigeria
Opening and running a pro beauty salon can be a great way to use your gifts in making people look their best. And with the beauty industry you simply cannot go wrong. Using this article, you can learn how to start a professional beauty salon in Nigeria.
Let’s briefly go through the basic steps.
Figure out your capital requirements
Interestingly this business doesn’t require a huge amount of money for starting up. So it means that with as little as N500,000 you can set up a professional beauty salon good enough for your expected clientele. How? Yeah, getting to that.
Here are the basic capital requirements;
- A shop space
- An electric generator set
- Salon decor
- Hairdressing tools like; combs, scissors, hair cream, gel, needles, thread, hair brush and others
- Grooming tools like pedicure machine, articial nails, nail kit etc
- Blow dryer
- Straightener/ tonging machine
- Furniture etc
All these are the basic stuff you need to start with. There are other needs that will arise along the way but the above should do for now.
Scouting for the perfect location
You need to be very careful with the location you pick to situate your business, as it is critical to the success of your business.
Here are some handy tips to factor in when choosing the right location for your business:
- Get into a high traffic area, busy streets, malls or spaces next to locations people visit often(such as eateries, grocery stores, markets, etc) are ideal.
- Try to have easy access. Otherwise people might not consider it worth the effort.
- Stay away from the competition. Don’t situate yourself directly next to a bigger professional salon. Instead try to stake out a place where you’ll be the only salon for a few blocks.
- Make sure that you get a shop space in an area with constant power supply
- Wherever you’re located, ensure that there is a good source of water supply to ensure a smoother running of your business.
You want to select a place with good traffic, high visibility, and is located where your target customers shop often or live.
Know the area
Aside from ensuring that your shop is located in the right area, you need to also know everything about the area in question. By this I mean knowing the demographics, the local competitors, and also think about how your customers will get to your salon. Is there ample packing space available? Is a construction project planned on your block? Are there any security threats? You have to know everything you can about the area before picking the place.
Hire qualified and trained personnel
It is important that you hire only qualified, well-trained and highly skilled beauticians, stylists and other personnel to man your shop. It is your responsibility as the salon owner to ensure that your personnel are adequately trained and understand each service offered. The salon business may not seem corporate in any sense of the word, but being that you want to appear professional to the public, you need to make sure that your business represents professionalism to the ‘T’. So let your staff know that
Opening your salon
To officially launch your new business; follow these essential tips:
- Have a business plan prepared. I advise and just like any business consultant would that you have a well written business plan in place. You can successfully run your beauty salon through the implementation of your business plan. If you have no idea how to go about preparing one, you can easily reach out to professionals to have it written for you. Send a direct mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 08105636015
- Design your salon around the clientele you want. Before you start painting the walls and picking out furniture, make sure that your design matches the kind of clientele that you want to attract. You want to customers to feel comfortable around your salon, so make it a place they want to visit often. If your target customers are the younger generation, go with fun, bold colours and furniture. For a higher – end vibe, go for a modern, classy and sophisticated look. Basically, you should simply look to tailoring your design around your target customer base.
- Create a clean and safe environment. Professional beauty salon thrive on an environment that is clean, safe and relaxing, where customers can receive prompt and professional service. Be sure your towels, foot baths, and other equipments are washed, cleaned and odor-free. Ensure that your sharp objects are duly disinfected regularly. Make the atmosphere relaxing, play soft music and keep loud chatter between your employees at a minimum.
Offer a wide range of services
This will serve to give you a distinct advantage over those who over only one or two services. For instance your services should include hairdressing, fixing hair, braiding hair, washing and relaxing hair, hair treatment, pedicure, manicure, fixing of nails, fixing of eye lashes, home service, among others. Many clients prefer to have their hair, nails, and face done in one place instead of going to different places
Keep your clients satisfied
It is important that you should create and maintain a business atmosphere that has a reputation for providing quality hair and beauty operations so that your clients will keep coming back for maintenance. Ensure that you go out of your way to make your clients feel valued and appreciated. And focus on giving them the best possible experience each time.
Tip: Collect contact information from your clients e.g, a WhatsApp number so that you can easily send them updates on new products/services, and any special offers you have.
To run a successful salon you need customers, and to get customers you need to promote your business. Facebook and Instagram happen to be the best advertising platforms due to the enormous traffic. Your marketing campaign should cover a maximum of a target audience. So ensure that you ask your clients for a contact information.
Hope you enjoy this article?
Share your thoughts in the comment session.
Contact us today for your business consultancy and business advisory services. We can help you fine-tune your idea, structure your business, market your business, train your staff, consult on your retirement plan, coach you for financial success. We also write a business plan and help with fundraising strategies and Grant applications. We can help you start, grow, and expand your business.
We help institutions and organizations write concepts, implement Business plans, and train on business Plan writing in Nigeria.
We can help you write a detailed, bankable and comprehensive business plan for your business idea.
Call any of our business plan consultants on 08105636015, 08076359735 and 08113205312.