25 LISTS OF INVESTMENT OPTIONS FOR INVESTORS IN NIGERIA , BY UWEM BASSEY
My guess is this, you’re probably an investor in Nigeria, with no clue as to where to dump your money for profitable returns. You therefore are interested in the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria. Yes? Well this piece is for you, so read on.
Another guess, you’ve probably gotten over any initial fears you must have had over investing your money, yes? Well like they say “Entrepreneurs are risk-bearers” so hopefully by now you already know that there are still certain super lucrative investment options out there, which I really wouldn’t want a fearless business enthusiast like you to miss out on so I kind of compiled a list of easy, quick returns investment opportunities for you. Check it out!
- Livestock farming. This is a booming industry with so many investment options. It is very important in the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria
- Poultry farming
- Cattle farming
- Rabbit farming
- Quail farming
- Snail farming
- Sheep farming
- Goat farming
- Tilapia fish farming
- Grass cutter farming
In a population of 150 +million this business will blow your mind. Ok, quick information, very soon the federal government of Nigeria will ban the importation of frozen fish, you’re following me now right. Yes! Once this bill is passed and implemented, Local fish farmers will hit jack pot, so what are you waiting for? The fish farming business terrain, as popular as it may seem is yet to be adequately explored. Of course you probably know already that the federal government of Nigeria has placed a ban on importation of live or frozen poultry birds. As expected it has only helped explode the demand.
All that is necessary for this business is adequate and practical knowledge and if you’re patient enough you will reap immensely. So there you have it. You can even start from your house. Livestock farming in Nigeria is probably the best bet for investors, with so many options ranging from animal production to feed production to drug production to equipment retailing. The opportunities are endless!
2 Agro-products exportation. This is no doubt one of the most important when considering the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria. We are blessed with a very rich food culture in Nigeria. With lots of foods and natural resources. Most foods we consume are actually processed from their raw states into finished edible products. Nigeria is a major exporter of raw food supplies to countries such as India, Vietnam, USA, UK, China etc. everyday tons of raw materials and Agro food products leave the shores of Nigeria to other countries. Major products that are high in demand both within and outside Nigeria are chili pepper, mango, kola nuts, bitter kola, cassava flakes (Garri), cocoa, groundnuts, yam flour, cashew nuts, cotton etc.
You can tap into this mega investment opportunity. It’s really simple, first you’ll need to register with the Nigerian export promotion council, and next you can then decide on the specific product you wish to export.
3 Mining . Nigeria is blessed with an abundant supply of mineral resources such as limestone, coal, iron ore, bitumen etc. point to note, the mining industry is guaranteed to “Blowup” for good, as there are little or no investors at all in the industry and as such is untapped also, the federal Government in June 2013 implemented a policy to drive forward the mining equipment duty free. The government is also going after many dormant investors who were granted mining licenses but are currently not using it. This is expected to spur the growth and development in the mining sector. So, instead of leaving your money in the back, you should probably tap into this sector, while it still has minimal competition. With adequate finances and a competent team you may want to position yourself in this sector immediately.
4. Mini oil-refinery. The potential in the oil industry cannot be overemphasized in the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria. So without much talk, building a private refinery for the purposes of refining crude oil is very profitable in Nigeria, if not one of the best investment options to jump into. Now, with the total removal of fuel subsidy, investors now have the awesome opportunity to set up and establish their own refinery and begin fuel production. With your crude oil refinery business you are destined for quick and fat returns
5. Inland waterway transport. This is a business with so many prospects. With Nigeria’s broad network of inland waterways which comprises rivers, creeks, lakes and seas; this business is destined for a boom. And yet inland waterway transportation still remains a bit of a challenge mainly because investors are yet to tap into water transportation. All that is required is getting the technical know-how on how to run the business smoothly. And then establish your company, obtain license from the state and federal governments, import or purchase some locally made boats, and you are good to go!
6. Establishing a TV/Radio station. It is probably a known fact that the mass media industry is now currently saturated in Nigeria. However, this is only true for some cities in Nigeria mostly Lagos and Abuja. If you do your research well, you’ll discover that most states have no private TV Stations, and mostly rely on the government owned TV stations which are largely incompetent, uncreative and unreliable.
There is still a gold mine waiting to be tapped by daring entrepreneurs and investors with the interest and competence in broadcasting or mass media so you can either choose to setup a radio station or a TV station or even both. This business venture can indeed prove to be profitable with of course adequate funding to commence. So for the investors out there, looking for lucrative ventures to invest in, here’s one. Therefore, consider mining as important in the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria.
7. Security company: there is a very huge demand for excellent security services in Nigeria. Parallel to the government’s battle to improve the current security situation in the country. Individuals and corporate entities are also now becoming aware of the fact that security is not the sole responsibility of the government; hence the current rise in demand for security personnel’s such as security guards, executive protection professionals, security devices and gadgets etc.
You could easily become a part of this industry set up a security guard recruitment outlet or training company or you could set up an executive protection or bodyguard agency. Also trending in this field is the importation and retailing of security products and high tech safety devices. The lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria is not completed without this sector.
8. Construction Company. Nigeria is laden with massive construction projects. If you have the financial capacity to assemble the needed team and machinery for a construction company, this is definitely a business you should consider in the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria.
9 Real estate development. The fact that there is a massive need for buildings, both residential and commercial is indisputable. Shelter is basically an indispensable need of man hence for those investors out there piling up money in the bank, why not invest in real estate? You can choose to invest in developing of hotels, school hostels for students, shopping malls, residential apartments, residential estates events and conference halls etc.
10. Set up a writing company: this sector looks unpopular but highly crucial in the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria. There is presently a lack of quality writers. And so if you have a passion and skill for writing, then you can either choose to write from home as a self-employed freelance writer or you can set up a company, whichever is preferable. Employ competent writers and then begin to source for jobs on line. This business is really easy to get into and it is very profitable. Due to the lack of good quality writers, there is a huge demand for well written content locally.
11. Call center agency. Did you know that the people who take your calls complaints and respond accordingly are really not employees of the telecom network you patronize? Ok, let me break it down; this is known as “call center outsourcing”.
You can set up a call center agency and work for big companies on a contract basis. The beauty about this business is the fact that you can always start small by becoming a call center agent form home. Unless you want to scale up by employing more skill and expertise, it doesn’t require much initial capital.
12. Recruitment agency. Here is another interesting business opportunity for the rugged entrepreneur. Companies in Nigeria are no longer employing full time in-house staff; mostly now they simply use the services of recruitment agencies to hire people based on contract basis. So why not jump into this bandwagon and start earning? Set up your recruitment agency and connect job seekers to their dream jobs. You can also be a corporate executive head hunter and make money poaching competent staff from one company to another
13. Importation of cars. Nigerians are car lovers, and this frenzy is translating invariably to a massive demand for cars, hence importation of cars is a sure and profitable way to invest your money in Nigeria.
14. Importation of wears. Clothing is of course a basic necessity, people must wear clothes and this includes shoes, bags, underwear, accessories etc. treading now is fairly-used clothing, otherwise known as okirika, but whether used or new, there will always be a market for clothes, you can source your goods from china, Hong Kong, Italy, France, Dubai India, Portugal etc.
15. Haulage and logistics: This is another booming business in Nigeria for those who want to examine the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria. This is because regardless of the weather, people must haul their goods from one location to another. In fact, haulage and trucking business is one of the most profitable businesses so far, in Nigeria. The business is however management intensive.
For investors who are interested in doing this business but do not want to be bugged down by management demands. You simply need to buy your trucks and contract it to haulage and logistics company, which will in turn pay you a specified cut on a weekly or monthly agreement depending on your contractual agreement.
16. Outsourced bus service. This business involves providing transportation services to organizations that cannot afford to purchase an in-house vehicle. Some corporate organizations can’t afford vehicle for their executives and staff, this is where you come in. Your client base can be schools, hospitals, NGOS, religious organizations, corporate bodies etc.
17. e-services. Among the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria. You should choose e- service if you are the technologically inclined investor, you can set up a company offering e-services to clients, this can include web designing and developing, web hosting, App development, digital marketing services, search engine optimization services, banner design, graphic design, bulk SMS services, computer training etc.
18. E-commerce. Have you ever ordered for a product online? If yes, then you probably have an idea of what e-commerce is. You’ve heard of Jiji, Jumia, Konga etc. These are e-commerce companies, simply put e-commerce is buying and selling of products online. This is a very lucrative business venture. With adequate knowledge and a competent team you are on your way to e-commerce success. First you need to know the basic rudiments of how to start an e-commerce company. Then with sufficient funding and human expertise you are good to choose this among the lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria
19. Waste management. Waste management is definitely a business with much potential, because Nigeria is yet to implement a proper waste management system. Businesses you could start within this industry include, waste recycling, waste deposal, junk hauling, organic fertilizer production etc.
20. Food processing. Food processing is another lucrative business to venture into; the industry is involved in turning raw food materials into finished products. Several businesses exist in this industry such as Tomato paste production, frozen food production, yogurt production, vegetable oil production, coconut oil production, fruit juice production, sugar refinery etc.
21. Manufacturing. Having your money piling up in the back with no major returns is certainly frustrating. Here’s an idea, throw it into large or small scale manufacturing of products that are in daily need. Products you can start with are: toothpicks, tissue paper and serviettes, candle, stationery, polyethene bags, disposable plates and cups etc.
22. Potable water production. You can establish your own table water factory and start producing potable water, establish yourself as a brand and begin to enjoy immense returns from your investment.
23. Become a cement distributor for Dangote. All you need is the right information, adequate knowledge and you are in business. You can start buying and selling cement on a large scale. You’re destined for success, because the demand for cement in Africa is on the rise, give or take within a year you’ll be counting millions literally.
24. Bars and clubs. As an adventurous investor, you may also want to consider investing in a bar or a night club. This business has so much potential as many adults, young and old in Nigeria seek a fun night life, recession or not.
25. Establish a wholesome car service company. You can set up a whole some car service company offering the following services:
- Car wash services
- Car maintenance services
- Car repairs
- Car ‘pimping’ remodeling etc.
These are the 25 lists of investment options for investors in Nigeria. With all being said. It is very important to have adequate knowledge and understanding of any business you want to start. Understand the possible risks and be ready to think out of the box every step of your journey. Hope this article helped?
- Katumu Adasi: How to survive in Nigeria without a job - February 11, 2021
- Top 5 business and services with the highest demands in Nigeria - January 4, 2021
- How to Become a Millionaire doing Rice Farming in Nigeria - January 4, 2021
Or just invest in people’s businesses through Latii Brayllot’s crowd-investing platform; Slourish.
Thanks for sharing these investment opportunities.