Meet the TEF-UNDP Shortlisted Applicants for Entrepreneurship Training
on October 7, 2019
Click here to see the full list of shortlisted applicants
1. How many applications were received in the TEF-UNDP Entrepreneurship Programme?
Over 81,000 applications were received.
2. When will the shortlisted applicants for the business training be announced?
From over 81,000 applicants, the shortlisted applicants for the business training will be announced on October 8, 2019.
3. Where can entrepreneurs access the list of shortlisted candidates for the business training stage of the Programme?
Eligible entrepreneurs who submitted a complete application online or offline can visit www.tefconnect.com of TEF website www.tonyelumelufoundation.org for the full list of shortlisted applicants.
4. How will entrepreneurs who do not have access to the internet check if they were shortlisted into the programme?
In addition to emails, all successful applicants will be notified by SMS. They can also check at UNDP country offices and UBA Branches closest to them.
5. What is the programme timeline for the TEF-UNDP Sahel Youth Entrepreneurship Programme?
81,000 applications were received by August 20
5,240 have been shortlisted this in October to receive business training
2,500 will be shortlisted for the pitching competition in November
Final 2,100 who will receive seed capital will be announced in December 2019
TEF-UNDP Programme Cycle
6. What will shortlisted entrepreneurs gain from the Programme?
The shortlisted entrepreneurs will gain access to robust business training that will equip them for the development of their business plan and prepare them to pitch their business ideas.
At the end of the training, successful entrepreneurs will be invited to pitch their business plans to stand a chance to access the non-refundable seed capital.
7. When will the final list of successful entrepreneurs who get access to funding be announced?
This final list of entrepreneurs who will get access to funding will be announced on December 15, 2019.
8. What are the immediate next steps for shortlisted Entrepreneurs?
Shortlisted entrepreneurs will proceed into the foundation’s business training programme.
For the next business training stage, all shortlisted applicants are categorised into two units – Growing Businesses and Micro businesses (smaller businesses).
The Growing Business Category will receive their training on TEFConnect.
The Microbusiness Category will receive their training in designated physical locations.
If you applied online, you have automatically been placed in the growing business Category. If you applied offline, you have automatically been placed in the Microbusiness category, if you applied offline and wish to be placed in the growing business category, please send an email with your first name, last name, email and phone number to email@example.com to change your category.
9. What are the next steps for those that have NOT been shortlisted?
Entrepreneurs who have not been shortlisted stand a chance to apply into subsequent programmes of the Tony Elumelu Foundation. The flagship Programme opens January 1, 2020.
10. Do all shortlisted entrepreneurs get the seed capital?
No. Only final announced candidates in December will receive the seed capital of $1,500, $3,500 or $5,000 depending on the decision of the judges following the pitch competition.
11. If I wasn’t selected into the TEF-UNDP Sahel Youth Entrepreneurship Programme 2019, can I apply for the Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme?
Yes, you may.
12. What is the TEF-UNDP Youth Entrepreneurship Programme?
The TEF-UNDP Youth Entrepreneurship Programme is a partnership between the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF) to empower 100,000 additional entrepreneurs over 10 years from across the African continent.
13. What were the criteria for shortlisting the qualifying entrepreneurs?
All eligible online and offline applications submitted in line with the criteria were reviewed and judged on 3 core criteria, which are: Feasibility, market opportunity and business growth potential.
Meet the 5,240 TEF-UNDP Shortlisted Applicants for Entrepreneurship Training 2019