25 BUSINESSES YOU CAN START AFTER RETIREMENT IN NIGERIA
By Uwem Bassey
Are you a retiree in Nigeria with hopes of becoming an established and successful entrepreneur? No doubt being a retiree has its down sides, as being a pensioner and most likely staying home day-in-day out can be unfulfilling at best and frustrating at the very worst. Arguably so many retirees may not be too enthusiastic about working in their retirement. But certain conditions such as recession, family needs, bad investment decisions may lead to a change in career path along the way for so many retirees. Most retirees don’t even have sufficient savings to cater to family needs. Also, according to BBC Capital, full-time retirement may also be bad for your health. So, even if you’ve got a lot of money at your disposal, you can still get involved in activities that will enhance your health and prolong your life. Staying motivated, active, and mentally productive is a good way of combating health relapses due to natural ageing process. It is common to find so many octogenarians in society who became billionaires in their later years. You too can be one of them. Remember, it’s never too late to achieve whatever it is all you want to achieve, once your determined and set your mind to it. As a matter of fact, now that you’ve got reduced family bills to pay, as your kids are probably on their own, your chances for entrepreneurial exploits is higher than ever! So, if your quite ready, I’ll show you some lucrative businesses you can start without delay. Enjoy!
1. Be a trainer. Being retired doesn’t make all your knowledge and skills disappear. Becoming a trainer will afford you the opportunity of exploring your work knowledge and using your wealth of experience to train other people on a wide range of skills. Getting started shouldn’t be hard. Just decide on a particular field you’re really skilled at and start training people. There are different areas of skill acquisition and training such as; make up, jewelry making, tailoring, how to sell drugs, nursing, electrical skills, bead making, hair dressing, carpentry, and the list goes on. You could even become a sports trainer or perhaps a football coach. You can run the training from your home, or preferably organise outdoor training seminars.
2. Start a blog. Blogs are trending now for providing information and entertainment. If you can provide what people are looking for through a blog, you can begin to make money through a variety of monetisation options, such as targeted advertisement, and affiliate marketing. Are you a retired nurse or medical professional? People would be interested in reading about health tips. Are you a retired accountant? People would be interested in reading tips on how to manage money and make good investment decisions and financial choices. Are you a nutritionist? Why not share your knowledge about diet and nutrition? Are you a foodie? You can share your enjoyment and knowledge through running a food blog. Or maybe you’re a car lover. Why not run a blog that talks about cars and gives adequate information about everything concerning cars? There are so many things you could do with a blog, and the good news is that you’d most likely be blogging about a field of knowledge you’re skilled in or some interesting hobby you really love.
3. Renting property. If you own properties, whether developed or not, you can start messing them out for money. Develop your properties and rent out. Accommodation is no doubt a basic human necessity and there will always be need for housing and accommodation. You can develop your proper into an hotel. Of course you need to pay attention to its location first to determine if it’s a viable idea.
4. Start a restaurant. Just like accommodation, food is a basic necessity of man. And as a matter of fact the most important necessity for survival of life in the first place. There will always be a market for food. So why not start a Porsche restaurant to cater to this need? Again you need to carefully consider location before you acquire a shop space for the business, as location plays a major role in success of restaurant business. Next you want to make sure your really clean and also ensure that the restaurant has a lovely ambience and exquisite interior design. You also want to make sure that your cooking skills are top notch. Next, hire smart workers who are customer – oriented, lively and hard working.
5. Become a Dangote distributor. You can go into cement detailing or even better, become a Dangote cement distributor. Cements are in high demand in Nigeria as a result of the rate which construction projects are running in Nigeria. This is a very lucrative and highly profitable business recommended for retirees. First, running a thorough market research will help you gat started and keep you better informed on how to proceed. Once this is done, you need to acquire a shopping space or warehouse in a good location and then you’re on your way to making lots of money, trust me!
6. Own a drug store. This business is more suited to retired nurses, medical professionals,or pharmacists. It is a very viable and lucrative business regardless of location. All you need to do is acquire a shop space , get your drug supplies and you’re good to go. It doesn’t require any marketing skills. So long as you’re knowledgeable in drug prescription and first aid medication techniques, you’re in business.
7. Networking. So many networking businesses abound in Nigeria. You can make good use of the many options and opportunities available. If you browse the Internet, you’ll discover a good number of legit networking businesses that are enriching people. Following all necessary procedures and requirements you are guaranteed to make a lot cash from networking.
8. Affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is another fun and active way to engage yourself as a retiree. Affiliate marketing simply involves selling other people’s products on their behalf and getting commission as payment. The commission paid will usually depend on your contract or agreement with the person or people involved.
9. Become a consultant. As a retired citizen you can consider a career in consulting. With your wealth of knowledge and years of experience in your field of interest. You need to first recruit clients, then build a good and strong clientele. You can also source for Clients online and by signing up for any open consulting schemes.
10. Cassava processing. Cassava is one of the most consumed foods in Nigeria. And has a very large Nigeria and in foreign countries. Cassava is on the list of most exported agricultural products in Nigeria. The cassava processing business is very lucrative and highly profitable. It is however, capital intensive, though its profitability far outweighs startup cost. If you’re a retiree with a flair for agriculture, why not try cassava processing business? Research on how to start a cassava processing business Nigeria, and you’re on your way to reaping huge benefits from this business. Oh! And it has huge benefits. With the right information and knowledge, you’re guaranteed to make yourself a very fat income from this business. So, what are you waiting for? Take the bold step today and thank me later.
11. Laundry business. This is another viable business that I highly recommend for retirees. Starting up is pretty easy, simply carry out research on how to start a laundry business in Nigeria and the rest is history!
12. Outdoor catering services. Also trending now in the country is catering business. If you’re a foodie and your skilled in cooking, you should probably consider going into outdoor catering business. First things first, get yourself ready clients. Advertise online, recruit clients among your social networks, in your neighborhood, your church, you can even organise a market really to announce yourself! The choice is yours, the most important thing to get you started on the business is building a strong clientele , once this is achieved, every other thing like hiring staff, acquiring cooking equipment and supplies will fall into place. So, if you’ve already decide, good luck!
13. Printing/ publishing business. Here’s another business with promise. So if your “printing inclined” you might want to consider this business. First, conduct research on how to start a printing and publishing business in Nigeria. Next, conduct thorough market research, and then with God on your side, you’re ready for serious money making, as this is a very lucrative business with maximum yields.
14. Become a writer. Are you skilled in writing? If so, what have you been waiting for? This is the perfect time to hone your writing skills for serious money making! The world as we see today revolves around and thrives on information. So, if you can meet this need by providing information and educating people through writing, the world is at your feet! You can write a book. Write books that will educate and provide rich information on subject matter. You can even decide to write for schools, ranging from secondary schools to higher institutions. It’s your choice.
15. Car importation. Importation of cars can prove a very viable source of wealth creation in a country like ours, where men and women are passionate about fast and luxury rides. Nigeria, as a matter of fact, provides a good market for car manufacturers worldwide. So, if you’re a car lover and feel disposed to selling cars, this business is yours for the taking. Find out how to import cars into Nigeria. Write a business plan , and soon you’ll be smiling to the bank, even as a retiree.
16. Sell jewelry. The sales of jewelry is currently empowering and enriching people. You can even run it as an affiliate marketer. Though I would advise that you go into your own independent jewelry business. Have a good marketing strategy in place, and you’re ready to take off.
17. Poultry farming. Poultry farming is undoubtedly quite a booming sector in the Nigerian agricultural industry, and it’s really easy to manage, with the right knowledge and skills. Find out how to start a poultry farm in Nigeria. Write a business plan . and that’s that. With the right marketing strategy and proper farming techniques, you are sure to make huge profits from your poultry business.
18. E-commerce. E-commerce is marketing and selling your products online. To get started, simply register on e-commerce platforms like jiji, Jumia, konga, eBay or Amazon.com. purchase things you want to sell, list your products on the platform you signed up for. Ensure you buy products at the right time and at the right place to maximise profits when reselling.
19. Bed and breakfast inn. You can open a bed and breakfast inn in a good location. With this business, you will be solving the problems of people by providing them accommodation( mostly for night travellers) and also providing them a sumptuous meal. It is relatively easy to start and has a relatively low start up cost.
20. Become a motivational speaker. If you’re a skilled orator with a passion for changing and building up people’s lives through motivation. This business is for you. All you need to do is organise talk shows in different organisations, conduct outreaches in schools and churches. It’s really simple. Nigerians appreciate motivational conferences and seminars, so, you’re sure to reap huge benefits from this business.
Watch This Video to start a VTU Telecommunication Business
21. Run a day care center. So many homes are busy these days, and has parents begin to combine the ” not so easy” task raising kids with hustling, it can be really stressful. Day care centres have really helped a lot of busy families relieve this burden. Establishing a day care centre is a blessing many parents would really welcome and appreciate, as a child care remains a constant need for busy families. And busy families are everywhere!
22. Soap making. Soap making is another major source of income for many middle class folks in Nigeria. As a retiree looking for a simple business to start in the chemical industry. Why not try out laundry soap making? It pays well. You can get training on how to produce laundry soap around you.
23. Resume writing. With your wealth of working experience, you may have even been a human resource personnel having seen and read lots of resume. Resume writers are actually in demand these days in the country. You can channel your experience by helping people write their resumes.
24. Online tutoring. Are you skilled in teaching? Or perhaps you’re a retired teacher? If you are a retiree who loves to teach, you could become a tutor on the internet and make money from it. There are several sites available online where you could apply to for online tutoring openings.
25. Baking business. If you know how to bake really delicious pastries, you should consider going into baking business. Baking is a very enjoyable and rewarding business for retirees. You could bake cake for ceremonies like weddings, birthdays and get together. Baking business is usually a case of turning a hobby into a business venture. I recommend it for really old retirees who need time to enjoy their retirement age.
Was this article helpful?
Hope you enjoy this article?
Share your thoughts in the comment session.
Contact us today for your business consultancy and business advisory services. We can help you fine tune your idea, structure your business, market your business, train your staff, consult on your retirement plan, coach you for financial success. We also write business plan and help with fund raising strategies and Grant applications. We can help you start, grow and expand your business.
Call or WhatsApp us now on 081 0563 6015, 080 7635 9735, 08113205312 or send email to email@example.com and we will solve any of your business problem.
- Katumu Adasi: How to survive in Nigeria without a job - February 11, 2021
- Top 5 business and services with the highest demands in Nigeria - January 4, 2021
- How to Become a Millionaire doing Rice Farming in Nigeria - January 4, 2021