5 Easy and Delicious Ofada Rice Recipes to Try at Home
Ofada rice is a variety of rice grown in Nigeria. It’s known for its long, slender grains and unique nutty flavor. It is often used in traditional Nigerian recipes like Ofada stew, which is composed of vegetables, meat, and spices and eaten with rice. Ofada rice is seen as a healthier option than other varieties of rice because it is usually grown using organic farming techniques and does not undergo as much processing as other varieties of rice. Moreover, it has a lot of nutrients like protein, fibre, and different vitamins and minerals.
Perhaps you’re thinking of an easy and delicious Ofada recipe to attempt at home, but you’re stuck for ideas.
Don’t worry; in this article, I’ve put together a list of 5 delicious and easy Ofada rice recipes you can make at home.
You can try some of these easy and delicious Ofada rice recipes at home.
1. Ofada rice and stew
This recipe combines ofada rice with a spicy stew cooked from a combination of tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. Sounds like a delicious meal!
You will need the following ingredients to prepare ofada rice and stew: ofada rice, red palm oil (or vegetable oil), chopped onion, diced bell pepper, and diced tomatoes; salt and pepper to taste; spices (curry powder); and protein (such as chicken, beef, or shrimp)
To make ofada rice and stew, follow the instructions provided below;
- Rinse the ofada rice in cold water until the water runs clear.
- In a pot, bring water to a boil. Add the ofada rice and a pinch of salt, and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let the rice simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the diced onions and bell peppers and sauté until they are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pan and let the mixture simmer until it thickens about 10-15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and your choice of spices.
- If you are adding protein to the stew, cook it in a separate pan according to your preference.
- When the rice is finished cooking, fluff it with a fork and transfer it to a serving plate. Top the rice with the spicy tomato stew and your choice of protein. Enjoy!
2. Ofada Rice and Beans
Ofada rice and beans is a delicious and simple recipe that is ideal for a quick meal.
You will need ofada rice, your preferred beans, water, and salt to prepare ofada rice and beans.
Here is a step-by-step guide for this recipe.
- Cook the Ofada rice- This involves rinsing the rice in cold water, then adding it to a pot with water and a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer the rice until it is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a pan over medium heat. Add your beans to the pan and cook them until they are tender. You can add spices and herbs to the beans to give them extra flavor.
- When the rice and beans are both cooked, serve the beans over the cooked Ofada rice. You can also add toppings such as diced tomatoes, diced onions, or chopped fresh herbs. Enjoy!
3. Ofada Rice and Plantains
The nutty flavor of Ofada rice is combined with the sweetness of fried plantains in this recipe. You will need Ofada rice, plantains, and frying oil to make this recipe.
Here’s how to prepare Ofada rice and plantains step by step:
- Cook the Ofada rice by rinsing the rice in cold water, then bringing it to a boil with a measured amount of water in a pot. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the rice until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender about 20-25 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, slice the plantains into thin rounds. You can do this by peeling the plantains and then cutting them into thin slices using a sharp knife.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the plantain slices to the pan and fry them until they are golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the plantains from the oil with a slotted spoon or tongs and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Once the Ofada rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and divide it among bowls or plates. Top each serving with a few fried plantain slices and serve hot.
- You can also add other toppings to your Ofada rice and plantains, such as diced tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
Enjoy your Ofada rice and plantains!
4. Ofada Fried Rice
This recipe is tasty and yummy! Ofada rice, diced vegetables, and a combination of spices are used to make this tasty fried rice. To make this ofada fried rice recipe, begin by
- Cooking the ofada rice which typically involves rinsing the rice in cold water, then adding it to a pot of boiling water and cooking it for a certain amount of time. Once the rice is cooked, drain any excess water and set it aside.
- Next, heat some oil in a large skillet and add diced onions, bell peppers, and minced garlic. Cook until the vegetables are softened, then add the cooked ofada rice and stir to combine. Add a blend of spices and then stir in some diced chicken or shrimp. Cook until the protein is cooked through, then serve the fried rice hot.
- You can also add other vegetables to the fried rice, such as diced carrots, peas, or green beans. You can adjust the spice level to your preference by using more or less of the spices. Enjoy!
5. Ofada Sauce
Often served over ofada rice, this spicy sauce is prepared from a mixture of ground nuts and spices. Roasted ground nuts, like peanuts or cashews, are used to make the sauce, which is then blended in a food processor or blender. Following that, the ground nuts are mixed with chopped onions, minced garlic, and a mixture of spices, including cumin and chilli powder.
The mixture is then put in a saucepan and cooked with water until it has thickened and the flavors have blended.
It goes well with cooked ofada rice. Enjoy!
I hope these recipes encourage you to prepare Ofada rice at home! Please let me know if you have any questions or require any further assistance.
To buy your Original destoned Ofada Rice and delivered to you any where in Nigeria Call or whatsapp 0806077920
Price: N6000 for 5kg– you can only request for a minimum of 10 packs and above.
N55,000 for 50kg
Office for pick up: No 17, community Avenue, ilupeju Magboro, beside Tallmania Hotel, Lagos-Ibadan express way.
Read also Ofada Rice Retail Business Plan in Nigeria