Common Google AdWords Mistakes That Will Do More Harm Than Good
If you have not been using Google AdWords to drive traffic to your business, then you might be committing a very grave mistake. Creating beautiful contents alone will not drive in sales, adverts will. You can make cool cash from running Google ads within a twinkle of an eye. You can make profits only if you avoid some costly mistakes that render advertisers pauper and make advertisement a waste of time and resources. While running Google AdWords, you have to put some things at the back of your mind which will guide you in doing the right things and not making costly mistakes that will leave you worse off. In this article, some common Google AdWords mistakes that people make have been highlighted so that you could learn from them and avoid them in your online advertisements.
- Keyword mistakes: many people ignore the power of AdWords keywords. Google gives you a variety of three keyword options to choose from while advertising. They are; broad match keywords, phrase match keywords, exact match keywords. Broadmatch keywords: when you add broad match keywords, your ads will display once people search for contents relating to your keywords, regardless of the order in which people search. For instance, if you run ads for best leather brogues, your ads will show for broadmatch like; best leather brogues, leather best brogues, brogues best leather, best leather brogues for men etc. Using broadmatch keywords means that your ad will show regardless of what it was meant to do. Phrase match keywords; with phrase match keywords, your ad will appear when people search for keywords in your phrasal order. For instance; best hotels in Nigeria. Your ads can appear for other related search but individual keyword has to be in that order. So your ad might appear for searches like best hotel in Nigeria 2020, where to find the best hotels in Nigeria etc . Exact match keywords: with exact match keywords, your ad will only display when the exact keyword you are targeting is searched. For instance, if your exact keyword is best mobile phone accessories, it will only appear if someone typed it exactly as it is written in the search box, and will never appear even with related searches. “According to this research study, exact match keywords convert better than broad match and phrase match keywords, but the number of average monthly keyword searches is usually lower than broad.” So you have to be strategic about keyword type and see the ones that suits your purpose.
- Lack of ad extension: many people fail to provide external links and ad extensions in their ad. Adding external links and ad extensions helps to increase your chances of getting clicks. It helps to position your ad in such a way that would make people see it as endowed, you might want to make sure you don’t make such mistake in subsequent times if you have been making it.
- Negative keywords: some people make the mistakes of not using negative keywords in their adverts and this is a crucial AdWords mistake. Much more than getting multiple clicks, you would want to get clicks that are essential to the service you have to offer, this is why negative keywords are important. Using negative keywords helps to streamline your advert to a particular set of people. For instance, if you are into sales of clothes accessories, it will make no sense if you appeared under search results for cloth sellers, the two are two different terms. While you might be getting lots of clicks, you might not get ones that will buy from you in the long run. And this can make your ad useless as your cost on pay per click (PPC) increases.
4. Not pre-testing: do not get too overconfident in yourself. You might be a brilliant writer or even the best copywriter the world has ever known and therefore you see no reason to test your ad. This also is a grave mistake! Testing helps you know how far you’ve come with your ads and how well it performs and convert. There are various methods you could use in testing your ads paying attention to some crucial details;
Only change one element per test, have a clear hypothesis for each test, Watch results over time and pay attention to volume (the number of exposures) not just initial bumps or falls before declaring the results of any test. Some tests may perform extremely well or poorly, but change after a few days or weeks.
Read Also: Best 2020 Technologies For School Owners
- Being rigid with changes: be creative with your ads. Don’t grow weary of having to change something, whenever and wherever there is a need to do so. Make changes that you feel your target audience will find interesting. You might want to change a cool background to a flashy one if you think your visitors will get more attracted if it was flashy. Don’t be too scared or too rigid to make changes.
- Not setting auto responders: not setting auto responders is one of the mistakes many people make. While it is no easy job to create auto responders, it sure helps in retaining customers and yielding a productive advert. You could create auto responders and program them to be sent immediate somebody clicks on your ad or when they make purchase. You could program another one to be sent some days later to ask them if they really enjoyed using your product. This sure births productivity.
7. Not Geo-targeting: Not setting specific location is another mistakes people make. As much as you want to make profits and get customers, streamlining your ad to people in your geographical location will do the magic. What Google does is display your product to people all over the world who might be interested in your product, but the gist is, if you are in Lagos, Nigeria and you run a pizza store, if you don’t streamline your location to Nigeria, your ad could be shown to a doctor in Germany who is in search of a pizza store, there is little or no chance that he is the right customer for you. By streamlining your search to Nigeria and more particularly, locations from where your business can be directly accessible, those in need of your services in such location are the ones who will see your ads. That way, you maximize your Ads results while minimizing the cost.
Google AdWords is one of the best strategies that can be employed in promoting your business, but remember, it’s much more important to do it the right way.
Hope you enjoy this article?
Share your thoughts in the comment session.
Contact us today for your business consultancy and business advisory services. We can help you fine tune your idea, structure your business, market your business, train your staff, consult on your retirement plan, coach you for financial success. We also write business plan and help with fund raising strategies and Grant applications. We can help you start, grow and expand your business.
Call or WhatsApp us now on 081 0563 6015, 080 7635 9735, 08113205312 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will solve any of your business problem.