Top 5 most visited websites in Nigeria and what that means for business decision making
It is of utmost importance that entrepreneurs and business owners know about specific metrics that influence business decisions. There are a lot of socio-economic factors affecting the flow of things in the business world, and understanding how these factors operate and how they affect our businesses can, to a large extent, determine the entrepreneurs that will succeed and those that will fail. In the world of today, one major factor that affects business decisions a lot is the use of the internet. How people use the internet, where people go on the internet, the kind of things they are looking for on the internet, and the kind of information, things, and persons they are searching for online can go a long way to provide valuable information for people in business and can help us gain valuable insight into what our customers want, appreciate and are looking for. One way to go about this is to research the websites that people are visiting the most. Information that is on those websites can be a powerful pointer to what our existing and potential customers are interested in and are looking for. Now, let’s look at “Top 5 most visited websites in Nigeria and what that means for business decision making”.
Google is the largest and the most widely used search engine website which people normally use to lookup information on the internet. Average Google users (which is virtually everybody online) visit Google 13.68 times daily and spend 9:55mins during each visit. Only 0.5% of its traffic comes from itself and other search engines, and Google currently has 2,155,753 backlinks online. Except for the unexpected happens, no website may be able to beat Google to this in the next 10 years from now. The implication for business? This singular information should tell every business owner a few things that are clearly obvious.
- People are searching for information and how to put your business on such a platform where people flock to for visibility, is what should be the target of every serious business person.
- Next is the fact that Google has the traffic – this makes it a very powerful platform for business advertising.
Sports betting? This is one of the reasons why I believe many people in Nigeria believe in making money through easy and fast routes. The popular sports betting platform known as Bet9ja is the second most visited website in Nigeria. This indirectly presupposes that Bet9ja is the most visited website that is home-based. Their recent online popularity may also be connected to the ongoing Big Brother Naija as they are the official sponsor of the reality TV show. So Bet9ja’s website is currently the most visited indigenous website in Nigeria, meaning that Nigerians are largely into betting, so what does that tell you and how should you as a business owner relate with this information?
- This insight into the mentality of Nigerians can help you position or reposition (as the case may be) your business for widespread acceptance. Meaning, if you design a marketing strategy for your business around anything that promises some kind of “playing to win”, many people are likely going to buy into it, especially if the gain is monetary.
I am sure with the number of times you personally visit YouTube in a week, this report is definitely not coming to you as a surprise – that YouTube is the third most visited website in Nigeria – is it? YouTube is the No.1 video-sharing platform in the world and that is a piece of information no one will even attempt to argue with! An average “YouTuber” spends 9:24mins on each visit to the site and visits 5.88 times daily. Only 13.20% of YouTube traffic comes from search and the site boasts of 1,675,295 backlinks.
What does this have to tell my dear Nigerian business owners and how can that benefit you? This simply tells you two things:
- Video contents are now the order of the day in the world of today. This means people are now consuming video content more than ever before. This is the truth, and not just on YouTube alone – even across most other social media platforms such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Tik-Tok, even on WhatsApp status updates. This presupposes or suggests to business owners who might be planning to put out some form of content or the other that, it might be wise to consider pushing out your contents in form of video instead of in other formats such as text, for instance. Video content will most likely engage with your target audience than a simple text-based post. On Facebook, for instance, people are ten times more likely to view a video than reading a text. That is an insight for businesses that I am giving you for free, although I could have charged you for it. Lol.
- Secondly, since YouTube is a go-to-place for most of the people you want to market your products and services to, setting up a YouTube channel and creating video contents for your target audience, and running paid adverts on YouTube to reach those people and secure their engagements – is most definitely something to consider.
Nairaland is an online community created by Seun Osewa in March 2005 basically for Nigerians. As Nigeria’s Number one online forum, Nairaland is the 5th most visited website in the country. Nairaland is like a place for Nigerians to chill out and get to hook up with other people. In other words, a place where we can tell one another stuff and get different opinions. Nairaland means different thing to different people: to some, it’s a place to catch fun; to some others, it’s a place to get answers to questions; to some others, it is a place to make fun of (and insult) other users; and to some others, it is a place to show how intelligent they are; while to some others, it is a place of learning and acquiring wealth. Only 14.50% of Nairaland traffic come from search engine and the forum currently has 3,202 backlinks. Nairaland can be so addictive that an average visitor spends 12:43mins on each visit which is usually 8.28 times daily.
The fact that plenty of Nigerians frequent Nairaland should tell every Nigerian business owner that your target customers are content to be part of online communities, discussions, and forums where many hope to ask questions and find out about new things. This makes Nairaland a great platform to meet up with your existing and prospective clients or customers and an avenue to provide timely information about your products and services while answering any questions which they may have about your business and providing unflinching support for those who care to patronize you. Many businesses have taken advantage of Nairaland to gain new customers and used the platform to push out information about their companies and what they do. And the exposure that Nairaland gives your business free of charge, makes it most desirable for business marketing.
Facebook is a social networking site that makes it easy for you to connect and share with family and friends online. Originally designed for college students, Facebook was created in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg while he was enrolled at Harvard University. By 2006, anyone over the age of 13 with a valid email address could join Facebook. Today, Facebook is the world’s largest social network, with more than 2 billion users worldwide. Facebook has a whopping 4,247,005 backlinks and only 7.90% of its traffic comes from search. An average user visits Facebook 6.69 times daily spending 14:33mins during each visit. The following are useful insights for business owners on Facebook being the 5th most visited by Nigerians.
Due to the massive population of over 2 billion users on Facebook, and the cost-effective plans by Facebook, marketing activities that would cost thousands of dollars through other channels can be used on Facebook for a fraction of the cost. This makes it ideal for small to medium businesses with a limited marketing budget. Businesses can also run trial marketing concepts through Facebook before committing to bigger campaigns. Other obvious advantages of Facebook for business are:
- Reach billions of potential customers
- Build a huge email list
- Reduced marketing expenses
- Target audiences by location, demographics, interests
- Gain insights on your audience
- Increase your website traffic
- Reach people on their phones since most people now surf the internet, especially Facebook, on their phones.
Hope you enjoy this article?
Share your thoughts in the comment session.
Contact us today for your business consultancy and business advisory services. We can help you fine-tune your idea, structure your business, market your business, train your staff, consult on your retirement plan, coach you for financial success. We also write a business plan and help with fundraising strategies and Grant applications. We can help you start, grow, and expand your business.
Call or WhatsApp us now on 081 0563 6015, 080 7635 9735, 08113205312 or send an email to email@example.com and we will solve any of your business problems.
- Katumu Adasi: How to survive in Nigeria without a job - February 11, 2021
- Top 5 business and services with the highest demands in Nigeria - January 4, 2021
- How to Become a Millionaire doing Rice Farming in Nigeria - January 4, 2021