Top 6 Agricultural Businesses to Start with Little Capital
The future of agriculture in Nigeria is still very bright especially for entrepreneurs. If you can recall that some years back, Nigeria’s economy was built on Agriculture just before oil was discovered, and Nigeria earned the “giant of Africa” title in that era. With the discovery of oil however, the concentration on agriculture started getting low. The plain truth is, the role of agriculture can never be neglected in a country like Nigeria, even when there is oil. There might come a time when we will have no choice than to go back to agriculture, then those who have invested in agriculture will be all in smiles. If you are thinking of starting a business as an entrepreneur, you might want to consider the agricultural sector because there are a lot of businesses you can start with low capital. This article will take you through some of them.
1.Urban Agriculture: “Urban agriculture is the practice of cultivating, processing and distributing food in, or around, a village, town or city. Urban agriculture in addition can also involve animal husbandry, aquaculture, agro-forestry and horticulture.” Urban Agriculture is also the most common form of agriculture around the world in that it is easy to start and even manage. With a little amount of money, you can start this business and make huge profits out of it. The basic thing you require is a land space, perhaps a plot which could be at your backyard or anywhere around your house, clear the space and make a heap for whatever food crop you intend to cultivate and start planting.
- Poultry farming: this is another aspect of agriculture you can invest in and make lots of profits. Considering the high demand for poultry product everyday by consumers, this might be the chance for you. To start a poultry business is very easy and at low cost. Get a small portion of land as your farm or make a cage, then purchase poultry birds and keep them in the cage. Attend to them from time to time and see to it that they eat regularly. If you are thinking of expanding your poultry, then you might have to reconsider your strategy, first you might need to acquire a farm space and keep your birds there instead of in a cage. In poultry, you must nonetheless pay attention to the location of your farm or your cage. If you are using a farm, ensure it is not far from home so as to make you easily available in times of emergencies, but also make sure it is distant from any human residence because the foul odor that comes from poultry birds is offensive. Same thing applies if you are using a cage; don’t bring it close to your rooms. It might be better at the backyard. One other thing you need to consider before starting poultry business is the kind of poultry you want to rear, whether you want to rear broilers for meat or layers for eggs and others. With a capital as low as, *15,000 you can start a poultry business, especially if you acquired a free land or you prefer the cage system.
- Fish farming: many people believe farming and agriculture as a whole is not more than crop farming, but there is more to it. Agriculture goes beyond all of these and extends even to fish farming. Fish is a good source of protein with very low cholesterol which is why many people prefer it to meat and it is always in demand in our markets. With a very low capital, you could start this business; acquire a land space (this could be anywhere even in your backyard) and buy fingerlings for between 5 naira and 20 naira. Buy as many as possible depending on the capital at hand and rear them for between 4 to 6 months when they would have grown big and you can sell for between 500 to 1500, depending on the size of your fish. This is a business that if well managed, you can make millions from it, and it doesn’t matter if you started small.
4. Sales of fruit: at a time when there is a high supply of fast foods in our market and less of fruits that are nourishing, selling fruits might be a way out. Since many people don’t have time even to prepare breakfast before going to work, due to high work demand which could cause implicating harms to their health (as a result of too much consumption of fast and artificial food), getting an avenue to take frits might be like heaven to them. As an entrepreneur, you could start by buying fruit produce from farmers and resell to people, and if you own a fruit farm , you might well be taking all the credit. Sell fruits to people and they will appreciate it. If you are the innovative type, you might want to consider getting a blender or mixer to make juice out of your fruits, this will increase sales because on one hand, many people don’t have to the chance to take fruits regularly these days and they will jump at an opportunity to take one, on another hand, many people don’t like to chew fruits which is why they prefer juices, but they are tired of taking artificial juices which is why they will jump at somebody who offers a natural fruit juice and even pray for such person. With a very low capital, you can start this business.
- Livestock feed sales: since many entrepreneurs are now so much into livestock farming, you might want to consider selling feeds for their livestock (the animals cannot survive without eating). This business is very lucrative and might require a little sum of capital if you are a producer, but very little if you are a retailer. Whichever class you fall into, just know that the business is lucrative and can make you rich.
- Snail farming: the last but not the least is snail farming. Snails have been proven to have more health benefits than any other kind of meat. As an entrepreneur, to start this business is quite easy, all you need do is get a space where you can keep your snails after you’ve bought them from the market. It is better to buy the big ones so that they could start reproducing after 35 days on location. The best time to start this business is in the rainy season, and with a capital as low as 15000 naira, you can get started.
Hope you enjoy this article?
Share your thoughts in the comment session.
Contact us today for your business consultancy and business advisory services. We can help you fine tune your idea, structure your business, market your business, train your staff, consult on your retirement plan, coach you for financial success. We also write business plan and help with fund raising strategies and Grant applications. We can help you start, grow and expand your business.
Call or WhatsApp us now on 081 0563 6015, 080 7635 9735, 08113205312 or send email to email@example.com and we will solve any of your business problem.
- Katumu Adasi: How to survive in Nigeria without a job - February 11, 2021
- Top 5 business and services with the highest demands in Nigeria - January 4, 2021
- How to Become a Millionaire doing Rice Farming in Nigeria - January 4, 2021